2020 B2B Marketing Report: Challenges and Opportunities Uncovered from Our CMO Survey
Published: September 2, 2020
Author: Hillary Read
One of 3Q’s four company values is Accept No Limits, and we applied that philosophy to our just-released B2B report on the 2020 challenges and opportunities uncovered in a survey of 500 top CMOs (download here).
Whether they’re working in FinTech, SaaS, manufacturing, or other major B2B industries, CMOs overwhelmingly cited employee health and well-being (63%) and company survival (45%) among their top business concerns. This, in a year of upheaval, is not surprising, nor is the set of top obstacles cited, which include resource allocation (23%), budgets (18%), and planning (12%).
But when we sifted through the data, we were able to uncover several macro and competitive opportunities that leave room for nimble, strategic CMOs to chart paths for growth in the 2020 (and 2021) climate.
On the macro level, we found opportunities for CMOs to:
- Differentiate themselves within a landscape of volatility;
- Build processes to capitalize on a groundswell of online engagement; and
- Develop sophisticated planning and forecasting methodologies that transcend unreliable historical data.
On the competitive landscape, we found opportunities lurking in the misalignment of CMO priorities and planned investments. Those include:
- Building a bigger funnel with thought leadership;
- Accelerating digital transformation to meet new end-user needs and expectations;
- Committing to analytics-first organic growth; and
- Applying even greater rigor to testing and oversight of paid media performance.
Click here for our full report on how B2B CMOs can embrace our Accept No Limits challenge and identify opportunities in 2020 and beyond.